Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well , kinda OT , kinda on

Bob F wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
My 22" LCD monitor died , backlight problems and I'm not sure if
it's a power supply problem or the CCFL's ... so I ordered an LED
replacement backlight kit . When I disassembled the screen , I
noticed small cracks in the bottom edge of the acrylic ? backlight
diffuser sheet . They just happen to correspond to the dark streaks
in the screen pre-death . I'm wondering if there's anything I can use
on that edge to seal the cracks , thereby restoring the dark streaks
to their former bright glory . Is crazy glue compatiblte with most
clear plastics ? Maybe a drop of acetone or other solvent on the
crack ? It seems that I've actually gotten longer-than-average life
from this screen , but for around 20 bucks for the kit I figgered it
was worth a shot . Worst case is I'm 20 bucks poorer and it's still
dead - which is actually no biggie because my partner-in-life has
agreed that a new monitor is a valid use of tax refund monies and a
new one is on the way .

I see LCD monitors at thrift shops all the time for $10-40. But I've
still picked up freebies and replaced a few capacitors to make them
work fine. The one I'm using now is a 27" Samsung that had a
backlight problem I fixed by opening it up and jiggleing the
connectors.

No thrift stores up here , but a LOT of "flea market" type shops for the
tourist trade . Can't say I've ever seen anything computer-related ... lotta
worn-out horseshoes and rusty block planes though ! This is a small town ,
and the nearest "big city" is , well , also a small town . Population in
Stone County is around 13,000 , mostly in small scattered farming
communities . And some of us just live out in the woods , not in a town .
--
Snag
Oh , and I ordered an LED backlight kit for that monitor