Posted to alt.home.repair
John Keiser John Keiser is offline

Default Well , kinda OT , kinda on

I have fixed several monitors with bad capacitors and/or blown output
transistors. All good results.
I tried to fix several with bad CCFL tubes. Much trickier. If you have
disassembled the screen to the point that you have free diffuser/polarizing
sheets, I think reassembly is problematic. Not sure what magic is needed
but I did not possess. My guess is that sealing the cracks will only make
things worse. As a spare monitor, probably somewhat useful with the streaks.
But you are at the learning stage so let us know how it comes out.

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
philo wrote:
On 04/20/2014 05:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
My 22" LCD monitor died , backlight problems and I'm not sure if
it's a power supply problem or the CCFL's ... so I ordered an LED
replacement backlight kit . When I disassembled the screen , I
noticed small cracks in the bottom edge of the acrylic ?
backlight diffuser sheet . They just happen to correspond to the
dark streaks in the screen pre-death . I'm wondering if there's
anything I can use on that edge to seal the cracks , thereby
restoring the dark streaks to their former bright glory . Is crazy
glue compatiblte with most clear plastics ? Maybe a drop of acetone
or other solvent on the crack ? It seems that I've actually gotten
longer-than-average life from this screen , but for around 20 bucks
for the kit I figgered it was worth a shot . Worst case is I'm 20
bucks poorer and it's still dead - which is actually no biggie
because my partner-in-life has agreed that a new monitor is a valid
use of tax refund monies and a new one is on the way .

I'm pretty good at fixing things and often go to great lengths to fix
thing most people would toss...but if my monitor died, I'd just get a
new one.

Oh , I did , it's on it's way even as I type . But for 20 bucks I figger
it's worth a shot to try a repair . That screen , if it works when I'm
done , will be hooked to the "farm server" comp that will be set up out in
my shop . And if it doesn't work , well this one I'm using on my desktop
will suffice . CRT's ugh , but if that's all ya got ...
--
Snag