Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well , kinda OT , kinda on

My 22" LCD monitor died , backlight problems and I'm not sure if it's a
power supply problem or the CCFL's ... so I ordered an LED replacement
backlight kit . When I disassembled the screen , I noticed small cracks in
the bottom edge of the acrylic ? backlight diffuser sheet . They just
happen to correspond to the dark streaks in the screen pre-death . I'm
wondering if there's anything I can use on that edge to seal the cracks ,
thereby restoring the dark streaks to their former bright glory . Is crazy
glue compatiblte with most clear plastics ? Maybe a drop of acetone or other
solvent on the crack ? It seems that I've actually gotten
longer-than-average life from this screen , but for around 20 bucks for the
kit I figgered it was worth a shot . Worst case is I'm 20 bucks poorer and
it's still dead - which is actually no biggie because my partner-in-life has
agreed that a new monitor is a valid use of tax refund monies and a new one
is on the way .
--
Snag
She wasn't so sure about the