Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Interesting Band Saw sharpening video.. Brand new blade is dullcompared to sharpened blade

On 3/22/2014 12:05 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/22/2014 9:49 AM, woodchucker wrote:
"woodchucker" wrote in message

long time... I'm going to give this a try b4 I need the resaw again..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UygEQ-079Ws

Interesting....

I kind of suspect that non-carbide bandsaw blades are not actually
sharpened after they are stamped out... so sharpening them improves
them.

If the face, rather than the back of the teeth was sharpened they could
probably be sharpened more times... up to the point where the blade is
work hardened and breaks. Sharpening the back at the angle shown in the
video decreases the clearance behind the cutting edge more and more with
each sharpening so at some point there is basically no clearance and
they don't cut well.

I'd think that a thinner and finer grinding wheel would allow grinding
the face of the teeth with no more effort than grinding the backs.

It's got me thinking about making some fixtures for one of my grinders
to give this a try. I also need a fixture for grinding long blades
(e.g., lawn mower, machete) in a similar manner to a surface grinder...
Would make for a productive diversion!

John

Well pics once you come up with a jig. I ruined my blade, I think I
must have dulled a few teeth and caused it to grab while resawing.
I tried an old olson (don't like them), definetly sharper, but same.
Maybe doing the gullet side would be better.

Certainly better. While it is important to back grind and deepen the
gullet, the face grins is what gives you the lasting resharpening job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmvL011DTpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bmws4hDGgg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bmws4hDGgg

Nice.. But I don't think I need that... Would be nice, but no room.
I would think if I did milling, it would be a no brainer.

--
Jeff