Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A sign of dirty connectors?

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:06:45 -0500, amdx wrote:

On 3/19/2014 10:45 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 23:02:44 -0500, Jon Elson

Greetings All,
One of my CNC mills has a problem. The machine, a Fadal 15XT, built in
1998, (I think), keeps showing an alarm for a malfunction the machine
can't have.
Likely there is a rack of opto-coupled sensor modules. The lube and air
pressure sensor positions have likely been dummied out with jumper
wires. The symptom you describe is typical of a worn-out opto-coupler
where the LED light output is dying from being lit for 15 years. If
you can figure out which input coupler is the one for these functions,
you can probably just replace them. PLCcenter is a great resource
for all sorts of obscure Japanese components like this.

Jon

Greetings Jon,
There are opto-coupled boards in the machine but none on this board.
The Fadal repair folks told me this board is the interface board and
is probably the problem and since removing and replacing it stops the
alarm every time I think they are probably correct. However, I will
try to identify what all the opto-couplers do and see if any of them
are for the sensors that are not there.
Eric

---

I'm surprised no one has suggested a can of freeze mist.
When the alarm goes off, spray half the board to cool it down, then do
what ever is needed, restart the machine, reset the alarm, and see if
the alarm is still on. If it is on, spray the there half and test again.
Hopefully the alarm will have stopped, the next time the alarm starts,
spray 1/2 of the 1/2 that you sprayed before when the alarm stopped.
Now, if this is actually stopping the alarm, just continue limiting
the area until your down to a single part.
Mikek

I have been using freeze spray but the results have been variable. So
I'm instead going to try a heat gun to saee if I can get the board to
fail faster.
Eric

---