Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dusty power switch in HP LaserJet 4

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014, William Sommerwerck wrote:

My HP 4M was purchased in 1992. About a year ago, worrying that the power
switch might fail within my lifetime, I dug out a Zenith Christmas-lights RC
remote control. The power switch is now permanently on, and I don't have to
fumble for it.

My HP 4P is only about 10 years old, but then I bought it at a Rotary Club
"garage sale" that year for $15. It had a low page count, something under
10,000 pages. The cover for the RAM expansion area was missing, unless I
lost it on the way home, and despite the low page count, the cartridge was
a generic replacement, that didn't last that long. I don't know why
someone got rid of the printer in the first place, likely some business,
but I assume the cartridge was replaced because it was being given away.

It's a toss up, I don't use it that often, so I'm not sure I'm worried
about the switch. On the other hand, it is something I turn on and off,
precisely because I don't use it much.

Michael