Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default Highly Shielded Audio Cable

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 11:30:08 PM UTC-4, Ralph D. wrote:
Hi,

I need a cable (ideally about 20ft), stereo 3.5mm male/male, highly shielded
to connect my audio source to a transmitter across a room. This cable passes
many sources of interference, so the shielding is critical.

I would prefer to get it from Amazon so as to get it quick with Prime
(incredibly narrow window of free-time during a currently very busy
schedule) but would be OK with ordering from one of the Ham sites if
turnaround time is very good. I could not get a good search parameter on
Amazon that didn't turn up thousands of hits that I just don't have time to
sift through right now.

Any good cable with known good isolation would be good. I have ferrite
chokes I can use, but would prefer a cable of suitable quality that did not
need them (current cable is getting interference even with them as this is
not just run-of-the-mill 60cycle stuff).

Hmm, What kind of interference are you seeing? (can you turn things off and make it go away?) To get rid of electro-static pick-up (display screeens flourescent lights...) get a cable with both braid and a almuinized mylar sheild.
(Driving the cable with a low impedance source should help too.)

60 Hz, magnetic interference is darn hard to shield against (In my limited experience.) Your best bet there is to keep a good distance between transfomeres and the cable.

George H.

Any good suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!