Bob Pritchard

Default Turning spheres

I use the same method that Doug describes but I use a shorter length of pipe.
Then I turn a handle with a tenon on the end. The tenon goes in the piece of
pipe and stops at half the diameter of the pipe.
The tenon is being used as a stop so the sphere can't go in the pipe more than
half way to eliminate catches.
You can make a whole bunch in a row if you hold your piece in a chuck. I turn a
bunch in a row with light tailstock pressure to keep things on track then
remove the tailstock and finish them with the homemade sphere scraper.
Some people make there sphere scrapers with a hole saw. Just grind the teeth
off and add a handle.
You can make a whole bunch of spheres in short order.

Bob, Naugatuck Ct.
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com