Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Bleeding LCD displays

"Rich Webb" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 16:43:19 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

This display is actually on a CD unit. Its not been used for some time
so may be what you say. Its also on the lower part of the display,
perhaps turning the CD upside down, when not in use, may help.
At the moment the black splodge is not intruding into an information
area, but I assume it will eventually

I don't think gravity helps... The display on the 8050A here is
darkening from the top, down. Looks almost like mildew/fungus growing
down from the top, intruding into the spaces between the segments.

I have a calculator with "black clouds" gathering along the top edge of the
LCD.

Activating any segment/symbol clears a halo around it for a while.

When I asked about this on various groups a while ago - a few people
suggested failing edge seal letting moisture contaminate the liquid crystal.