Phisherman

Default buying machinery for a shop

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:05:41 GMT, "David Cannaday"
wrote:

Ok, I have wanted forever to have a shop, and I am prolly putting the horse
before the cart and I know that I am going to hear both sides here. I
called a number I saw in the want ads for some little piece of machinery and
ended up buying a craftsman radial arm saw for 250. I mentioned I would
like to find a bandsaw and he had a friend who just bought a house with a
complete workshop in it and was selling his 14" Grizzly. Called him, bought
it for $175. He said he was going to sell his Jet 6" planer, looked new,
got it for $200. Said he had a Rockwell table saw at the new house that he
was going to sell, prolly for $300. Going to take him the money for the
jointer Saturday, and then go look at the TS. As this is an "older" man who
bought a house from an "older" man and both were using the equipment, I feel
pretty OK about buying this equipment, but would like some suggestions on
what to look for on the TS. I thought that by buying used, I could recover
some, if not most of my investment if it does not turn out to be what I want
to do and I could always sell and upgrade. Thank you in advance. David.

This may be a good idea, although I don't know your question. I find
that buying used equipment is a hit-or-miss situation. I would give
particular care about having a quality table saw with a quality fence,
as this is the workhorse of most wood shops.