DonkeyHody

Default buying machinery for a shop

David,
The tool snobs will disagree, but I think you are heading in the right
direction. The machines you have mentioned will be quite servicable
until your skills progress. By then, you'll know where your
priorities are. Meanwhile, you'll get your shop started without
taking out a second mortgage.

As for the table saw; check for slack in the adjusting mechanism,
especially the tilt. Lay a straightedge across the table in several
places to be sure it's flat. I'm not saying to obsess over whether
you can see light under it, but you shouldn't be able to slip a
business card under it anywhere. Extension wings can usually be
adjusted into alignment unless they're bent. If it's a Rockwell, it
"prolly" has cast iron wings anyway. Check the fence to be sure it's
straight and locks down tight. It's really good if the fence locks
down parallel every time, but most don't. It would be hard to make a
huge mistake on a $300 Rockwell table saw unless it's totally trashed.
If it turns out not to be what you want, you should be able to get
your money back easily.

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

"David Cannaday" wrote in message ...
Ok, I have wanted forever to have a shop, and I am prolly putting the horse
before the cart and I know that I am going to hear both sides here. I
called a number I saw in the want ads for some little piece of machinery and
ended up buying a craftsman radial arm saw for 250. I mentioned I would
like to find a bandsaw and he had a friend who just bought a house with a
complete workshop in it and was selling his 14" Grizzly. Called him, bought
it for $175. He said he was going to sell his Jet 6" planer, looked new,
got it for $200. Said he had a Rockwell table saw at the new house that he
was going to sell, prolly for $300. Going to take him the money for the
jointer Saturday, and then go look at the TS. As this is an "older" man who
bought a house from an "older" man and both were using the equipment, I feel
pretty OK about buying this equipment, but would like some suggestions on
what to look for on the TS. I thought that by buying used, I could recover
some, if not most of my investment if it does not turn out to be what I want
to do and I could always sell and upgrade. Thank you in advance. David.