Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default gas fireplace won't start-up - pilot is lit

greg wrote:
replying to John Galbreath Jr., greg wrote:
firelogs wrote:

Go to the gas valve, look for three terminals. One will be marked TH,
one TH-TP, and one TP. When the TH and the TH-TP are connected, the fire

lights
if the gas valve is in the on position and you have a pilot. There is
no power here, so you can jump with a paper clip. But when you do ***
THE

FIRE
WILL COME ON ***, so be careful and be prepared. If it does light, then

the
problem is in your wiring to the wall switch. If is does not come on,
the problem is in the gas valve. The wiring is the likely culprit.
wrote in message
Happy new year to all!
I checked the fireplace and couldn't figure out the make - the card
that came with it says XDVR-38RMN, but I couldn't find anything based
on that description in my Google search. I did see a circuit diagram
that mentions Thermopile. It's a masonry insert.
The pilot does light easily and stays lit, so as you suggested, that's
not where the issue is. I did clean everything out and then tried to
get the fireplace going again to no avail... There is NO remote with
the fireplace - just the wall switch. I checked all the circuit
breakers and saw no issue there. When I flip the wall switch, nothing
happens. I don't smell gas when I flip the switch... Would a bad
thermopile result in these symptoms?
Appreciate any additional pointers you may be able to offer.
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. The paperclip trick worked for me, so I know its
not the gas valve. I then disconnected the wall switch and connected the
wires, it did not light.

So I assume from this the problem is the wiring between the switch and the
unit? That is a major bummer if true as all of this wiring is in the walls
and seems to be nailed to the studs as I can't pull it loose.

Open to any suggestions.

Hi,
If the FP has removable sealed glass front, there is a interlock switch.
Just like gas furnace has cover interlock switch. Checked that
switch?