Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default Radio Antenna on street lights

On 12/12/2013 19:38, Davey wrote:
There was also a local experiment in the US to provide WiFi for
residents, and they used street light poles to hold the antennae, but
the whole scheme foundered and died. The equipment is probably still
there, if anybody wants it.

Westminster council offer free wireless access in Central London using
wireless access points mounted on lamp post. This is with BT, they use
an SSID of BTWiFi and the service is not that fast (well, it's free).

Now some hospitality buildings I visit also have their guest wireless
provided by BT, and it's the same BTWifi SSID name that's advertised to
use. That one is faster (sometimes upto 20Mbps), but occasionaly I come
across a guest that's unwittedly connected to the lamp post outside the
window, and they are complaining that it's slow. Such fun :-|

--
Adrian C