Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] emailstan@gmail.com is offline

Default Solving water heater left hand thread thermocouple problem

Hi Bob,

Thanks for being a lifesaver. I used your advice but the only difference I did was I cut the 'left hand thread piece' on the thermocouple in half. I also used my Dremel as you did. I first only cut half of the 'left hand thread piece' like you did, but I I couldn't get it out of the copper tubing with only half of a cut. So I decided to cut the whole 'left hand thread piece' in half. I then put the two 1/2 pieces of the 'left hand thread' around the new thermocouple and screwed in to the water heater. I did NOT use any glue or adhesive. As long as the new copper tubing from the thermocouple is in the middle, it will keep the size of the 'left hand thread piece' the correct size so you can screw it in the water heater.

Thanks again Bob for your post.

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:56:53 AM UTC-7, Bob F wrote:
The thermocouple on my 7yo Whirlpool water heater went out Sat. The stores open

on the weekend had only right hand thread thermocouples, and as far as I could

find out, the manufacturer would sell me a conversion kit for $31 which would

take 10 days to receive. (out of warrantee)

My solution: I carefully clamped the threaded fitting on my old thermocouple

end-to-end in my vice so one face was up, then used a 1" cutting disc in my

dremel tool to cut a slot into the fitting so I could slide it off of the tube.

I slid the threaded fitting on my new thermocouple down out of the way, then

slipped the slotted one over the tube and carefully screwed it into the valve

fitting. It works perfectly.

If you have a several years old Whirlpool or American Products water heater, you

might want to check to see if it has the left hand thread on the thermocouple.

If it does, and it is still in warrantee, contact the manufacturer now so you

can get the conversion kit for free ahead of the time you really need it.

The early symptom of failure on my thermocouple is that it took 1 1/2-2 minutes

of holding down the pilot light to get it to re-light and stay lit. The new one

took about 20 seconds.