Vic Baron

Default Titebond III Does not Perform

Gee! Next time I build an underwater cabinet I'll remember not to use it

Vic

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..
Wood Magazine this month has a great article comparing the major brand
glues. The 6 page article tests for strength and water resistance.

In a water resistant test, glued joints were submerged in water for 24
hours. Surprisingly Titebond III scored worse than Titebond II. The TB

II
joint held up to about 300 PSI. TB III failed at about 200 PSI. So I

guess
you should save your money. TBIII is typically 60% more expensive than TB
II.

There was a discussion a few weeks ago about the TB III compared to
Polyurethanes for water resistance. Polyurethanes win. In the same test

as
mentioned above, the Elmer's ProBond and Gorilla Glue Polyurethane joint
held up to almost 1000 PSI. TB III held up to 200 PSI.

I think I will send an email to Franklin and see what they have to say

about
this article.