Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ed Clark WD4ED Ed Clark WD4ED is offline

Default Heathkit SB-1000 problem

responding to
http://www.electrondepot.com/repair/...em-125718-.htm , Ed
Clark WD4ED wrote:
ve9zx wrote:

I am the second owner of a Heathkit SB-1000 that was built in the late
1980s. It was working great until I accidentally tried to tune it into a
mistuned antenna and I saw a flash through the ventilation screen on the
left side somewhere around the rectifier/filter section and there is now
no
power output. The amp powers up, the fan runs, the meter lamps light and
the
tube lights up. The amps multimeter shows 3400 volts on the high voltage
position (a little high maybe but it has always been like that). With no
drive, when the amp is keyed there is no plate current and no grid
current.
Keyed with drive there is grid current, but no plate current and no
power
output. These conditions are the same regardless of which band the amp
is
set to. I had thought that the zener diode might have failed so I
replaced
it, but nothing has changed. I would appreciate any thoughts as to what
may
be the problem and how to fix it.

73
Chris
VE9ZX

Did you ever get this figured out? I have exactly the same amp with the exact
same problem.

Thanks,

Ed