Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Minature Bead Roller

On Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:13:52 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:
I'm working on a project (it's a visual pun -- because if you're going to

name an engine part after a body part, it should look like the body part,

right?)

Basically I'm making a model airplane muffler (of a style called a

_tongue_ muffler, hence the near-obsessive search for a solution just to

make a god-damned PUN) by soldering two aluminum shells together (see

pictures). Later I'll solder the shells to a base that bolts to the

engine. If I just make one shell a little undersized compared to the

other and squeeze them together, I have a honkin' big seam that I'll need

to fill and file to get everything looking nice.

So I'd like to make a shell, then roll a little bead in it, then solder

everything together.

But I can't find any little bead rollers!!!

So, does anyone have any suggestions for what to do (other than perhaps

to abandon the project, or see a good shrink?) I'm thinking that for a

roller all I need are a pair of little wheels that are machined with the

correct 1/32" step, rounded to fit the interior of the shell, running on

bearings in a block and geared together.

Does that sound about right, or is there something I'm missing? I'd like

to make the amount of squeeze between the rollers at least somewhat

adjustable -- are there any known-good ways to do that, or is it

unnecessary?

Thanks in advance.

The pictures are he

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5lS...jajVqTWc/edit?

usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5lS...DcllvVWs/edit?

usp=sharing

--

Tim Wescott

Wescott Design Services

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Maybe it would be easier to do a smaller version of this?

http://www.classicindustries.com/truck/parts/x9853.html