Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Self-testing Telephone Line

Don't know about that but increasingly I've been finding that somewhere on a
call its carried in a voip form which degrades when the traffic increases.
this sounds like its in a cupboard and has a sever hf cut off and some
limiting on the sound.

I am wondering if phone companies are using this approach to help with
demand.
Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"polygonum" wrote in message
My mother's phone has developed a habit of deteriorating in quality in the
evenings. It seems to get markedly quieter and has an odd "talking from
inside a cardboard box" quality. This seems to happen quite often but
getting a proper analysis of exactly which days and for how long just
ain't going to happen.

Her phone is supplied by the Post Office and it comes in through an old
single socket. A microfilter and two-line splitter are fitted.

She has two phones - one wired, one DECT - both seem similarly affected.
Both work absolutely fine at every other time. And all the wires have been
taken apart and re-assembled more than once without changing the issue -
including changing the microfilter and splitter.

She (or someone) has contacted the PO and they seem to have run some tests
and declared the line to be fine. I strongly suspect that any tests were
run during the day so we agree they'd be likely to be fine - the issue
only happens in the evenings.

At the moment, I am hypothesising that the issue is on the line rather
than an actual phone.

What DIY testing is possible? Are there any diagnostic numbers available?

It is a fair old drive to get there so the ideal would be something I can
explain to her. If it is simple enough she can do the test when the line
is bad and, hopefully, identify the issue. But if I need to go over, so be
it.

--
Rod