Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tdacon tdacon is offline

Default need an easy turning wood

"asdfasdf" wrote in message ...

I need to turn the nozzle of a rocket engine...

here is a picture...

http://www.stevepinker.com/North-Ame...9081&k=Bbmvkvg

or

http://tinyurl.com/kbwbk2g

It is going to be about 3" diameter and 4" long. It won't be
incredibly detailed but the ribs should show. It will be
hollowed out a bit but the wall thickness will be much greater
than the picture. I need a wood that will turn easy without
tear out and should be cheap. The grain is not important as
it will be painted. Any recommendations?

From your picture, it looks like you need to be able to hold extremely fine
details.

If you're up to it, I'd try to work with a piece of purpleheart. The grain
structure is fine and tightly interlocked, and won't slough away as you work
it, although it is extremely tough and requires well-sharpened tools. So you
would be able to retain the finest detail that you can turn and carve into
the piece.

Tom