Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ridge Vent or Box Vents?

On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:05:15 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 04/09/12 11:52 PM, gonjah wrote:

On 4/9/2012 10:47 PM, gonjah wrote:

On 4/9/2012 7:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 04/09/12 11:51 AM, gonjah wrote:

On 4/8/2012 4:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have heard that ridge vents only work well if there are wide

soffits, like 12" or more.

...Snipped..

Pat: How much are you being charged per vent? What is the soffit made of?

Oops! Make that DerbyDad.

The price per vent is not broken out. There is an overall price for the

job which includes the soffit and box vents, zinc strips to control

moss, ice/water shield, etc.

Zinc strips, that's another interesting topic. I just looked into this
a bit myself. There are three camps out the

A - They work great, just put them up at the peak

B - They don't really work at all.

C - They work but only for about 4 ft down the roof.

After looking at a lot of discussion and then looking at some roofs
myself, I think C is probably most accurate. In particular, I saw
an office building here where you could see black mold on most of
the roof, except right below a plumbing vent flashing. The flashing
is apparently galvanized, but the effect was only for about 4 feet or
so down the roof. That section was clear. Below it, the mold resumed.

So, the problems are it looks to me like you have to do it every
4 ft or so to protect it all and having that zinc staged like that
over the roof doesn't look so great. There are also powders that you
can sprinkle on that are supposed to prevent mold for a year or two.
Don't know how well they work.