Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default neighbor's fence partially on my property

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 11:24:38 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Maybe you can clarify something. Originally I was left with the
impression that immediately before this fence was built there was a
brand new survey done outlining all the corners of the lot. From what
you wrote above it sounds like that survey was a while ago and that
since that time some of the reference points for the survey have been
destroyed and the property line was established as best it could be
with whatever reference points were left. If that's the case how much
assurance is there that the presumed current fence line for this new
fence is within 6 inches of the right spot?

The neighbor's survey was done some years ago. He had to do it before he
added the extension across the back. That job is now going on three years.
He bought the house on August 10, 2010. One would usually contract with the
architect prior to that, and probably prior to going into contract on the
house.

My survey was more recent, but before they put their new fence up. I got
the name of the surveyor they used from the contractor. I wanted to use the
same one. When he was doing my survey he checked to see if they put the new
extension on the property line. They did. He had me look into his scope and
see it pointing right along the edge of the building.

I don't know what reference points were given to the neighbor. I was only
given side ones. I had the length from the back of the house for the back
line. There were no stakes. Old fences were in the way. There are marks on
the house. Then pins in old fences with distances and marks on the phone
pole (covered over with the new fence) and a mark on my a/c condensor pad.

You can see the survey he
http://donwiss.com/manuals/house/492...out-Survey.pdf