Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default neighbor's fence partially on my property

Don Wiss wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:24:18 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In your first post you wrote, "I'm adding a fence to the back where
this fence isn't, and it won't line up."

I assume you mean you want to add a fence along the back to the
right of where this new fence is.

Correct.

Any chance that you could post a wider angle view of the back that
shows the new fence and the area where you want to add a fence? I
think that would help is giving more context to what you are trying
to figure out.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/Bac...ceSWCorner.jpg

For some reason the neighbor's contractor bought 2x6's and 2x4's and
ripped them in half. And gave my side the saw marks.

Also, do you know what type of fence you plan on putting up across
the back?

It isn't designed. You can see part the new side fences that are being
built now in the above picture. There will also be a 2x2 strip across
the midsections for plank support. The other side facing the neighbor
is the front, but it is a totally plain. My side has more interest.

My fence will get a sealer which will darken the mahogany. The
opening is so they can get to the other side to apply the sealer.

Thanks for the additional photo. That helps complete the picture of what
you are trying to do.

Here are the two photos that you posted so far:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/BackFence.jpg
http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/Bac...ceSWCorner.jpg

I assume that you mean that you will be putting up a new fence on the left
side like the new fence that you are now putting up on the right side. That
fence that you are now doing does look good.

And, you will be putting a new fence on the back to the right of the fence
that your neighbors put up.

So, the problem now is what to do in regard to the new fence that your
neighbors already put up in the back.

To me, the fact that you see the "inside view" of the neighbor's new fence
(instead of what should be the exterior side) is not a big deal since the
rest of your own fence will be showing you the "inside view" anyway.

I guess you could just connect your fence along the back to their fence and
call it a day. Your fence looks much better than theirs, and their fence
boards go in a different direction than yours (horizontal instead of
vertical). But, maybe "it is what it is" and that would be good enough.

Or, maybe you could modify their fence to make it more compatible with the
look of your fence. To do that, maybe you could just attach your style of
vertical boards to their fence (directly to the horizontal boards that they
have there now). That would make the look more compatible with your new
fence. Plus, you could add a horizontal cross piece along the bottom and
the middle to make it sort of match your fence style. That would also be a
way to cover up the stupid hole in their fence where the pole is (behind the
A/C condenser unit). If you did that, I don't think anyone would care or
notice that the back fence and the side fence were not exactly the same.

And, frankly, at this point, I wouldn't bother worrying about whether their
fence is on the line, on their side, on your side, or whatever. Life is too
short to lose sleep over that one.

One thing I did notice in the first picture that I am curious about is that
it looks like there is snow on the ground. Is that snow? Was there snow
there recently or is this a photo of the fence from a few months back or
more? The reason that I am wondering is that if this is how the back fence
has been for a few months now, it seems a little late to try to undo what
they have done.

You're there, and I am here, so I don't really know what the best options
for you would be at this time. But, those are my thoughts based on what you
have written so far.

Good luck.