Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default neighbor's fence partially on my property

Don Wiss writes:

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 21:43:08 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

This "Don" guy keeps talking about attacking the fence and crap like
that. Hope he doesn't move in next door. He's got a 1.5 inch
encroachment but needs to build his fence 6 inches from the property
line. Do the math.

What is this 6" from the property line? Fences in my zoning district can be
right at the line.

Forgot that parts of NYC are so tightly packed that
reason flies out the window.
Putting one fence right up against another just seems wrong.

So if your new fence is 2 inches deep and the neighbor is 1.5 inches
over, you're going to loose 3.5 inches.

When the fence was built, there should have been a discussion between
neighbors. Maybe there was, Don never said when the fence was built.
Now that its built and it's not in his way, I think he should move on.

There was never a discussion. The only discussion was when the first post
went in I went out and measured it and told the workmen it was on my
property and to move it. The said they were trying to get all of the pole
inside the fence. Because the posts are on my side this was hard to do. I
told them I didn't care if the fence went around the pole. You can see the
hole in the fence for the pole:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/BackFence.jpg

I see some kind of gap on the right.

So, above you say there was no discussion,
but you repeat a discussion.
First you say you asked the workers to move it,
then you told them you didn't care.

Sounds like you agreed to them putting it there.

Too late to do it over.

If I were you, I'd build the same kind of fence on the 2 sides of your
yard. Then you save 1/3 on materials and you only loose 1.5 inches.

A while back I put a fence 6 inches from my neighbors fence.
(Too close to be "legal".)
Of course we discussed it and he and I agreed before hand that we both
preferred it that way. (Better to keep the deer out.) The 6 inch gap
is filled with wire netting.

I don't know anything about 6". I know all the neighbors on my street. As
I've written before, no one knows who is on the other street. Except for
one outgoing fellow from the other street that walks his dog around the
block. Most people just walk their dog up and down the block they live on.

Outgoing? Yep, it takes someone to make the first step.

--
Dan Espen