Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default neighbor's fence partially on my property

On 6/25/2013 7:42 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:41:55 -0500, "ChairMan" wrote:

You keep ducking the question of *why* you haven't discussed this with the
homeowner.
He is the one ultimately responsible for what ever happens on his property
*NOT THE CONTRACTOR*
So why haven't you talked to the homeowner?

Because I can't do anything until he comes home from work!! I don't want to
deal with the Japanese wife. As a young investment banker he isn't going to
get home early.

There is no phone number listed for this new house. I called the old one in
Manhattan. I got a voice mail that listed off a different number than what
I dialed. I left a message. I walked over there. They were not home.
Actually I'm pretty sure they have not been home for the past week.

If it's not in writing, it didn't happen. Send him a letter with
delivery confirmation. They don't have to sign for it, but the postman
will indicate that it was placed in their mailbox as addressed.

In the letter, lay it out for him and request that he contact you to
discuss the matter. Make it matter of fact and non-threatening. You've
approached with the olive branch in your mitt, the next move (or
non-move) is his.

No matter what happens down the road, you've been the gentleman and made
the first overture to get this matter straightened out between the two
of you.