Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default neighbor's fence partially on my property

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:44:21 +1000, Larry wrote:

Since the neighbor has piled up 2 feet of dirt on his side of the fence, it
has become a retaining wall. It doesn't sound like this 'retaining wall'
was built to the proper specs to do that job. I'm quite sure that retaining
walls would have very specific specifications and requirements. Might be
that the danger of his yard collapsing into your yard, would mean that it
should be torn down and built to proper 'retaining wall' specs. While he's
rebuilding it to the proper specs, he could build it where it should have
been built in the first place.

All very interesting. I had not thought of the retaining wall aspect of
this. On all three sides he has done this. I have wondered why he used
cedar. I'm putting up mahogany fences. It is not that much more expensive
than cedar. And you get a 50 year life instead of 12 years. And that is not
including the accelerated rot you will get from the constant moisture
contact of the soil and cedar.

And to top if off there was no finish put on the cedar. Why the difference?
He used a general architect and general contractor. I used a landscape
architect that specializes in fences.

Here is a picture of the fence from right after it went in:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/BackFence.jpg