Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Mystery wood

G. Ross wrote:
Kevin Miller wrote:
On 06/18/2013 08:49 AM, G. Ross wrote:
G. Ross wrote:
I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?

There was no yellow color in the water with shavings in it overnight, so
I am calling it mulberry. It is wet, but it dulls my tools faster than
most woods. And no, I am not in the market for a carbide tool.

I've never turned it, but I've heard that the Bois d'arc is really hard.
No idea about mulberry. Can you post any photos in
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking? Be interesting to see the wood...

Done!

Well, I sent it but don't see it. If it doesn't make it by morning
will re-send.

--
 GW Ross

 The trouble with not having a job is