Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gap between floor tiles and wall

On Thursday 13 June 2013 13:17 Lee Nowell wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Hi,

I have a room which has percelain tiles on the floor with water based
underfloor heating in the slab below. The tiler laid the floor with a gap
of a few mm from the walls as the original plan was to put skirting
around.

The walls have all been replastered and we are now considering having no
skirting and effectively sealing the gap left by the tiler.

I have a few questions...
1. is the gap needed for expansion reasons? I wouldn't have thought
porcelain would expand since the joints between the tiles would presumably
crack if it did but thought I would check...
2. What would you fill it with? I was thinking of using the same grout as
the rest of the floor - would this work? If the gap is required for
expansion, could I use cauk/ mastic or something else?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Fill it with a bead of silicone or MS Polymer sealant. The former certainly
is available in lots of colours to blend in (eg match the groute of either
the wall or floor tiles).

Reading this on the web? See: