Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Nowell Lee Nowell is offline

Default Gap between floor tiles and wall

Hi,

I have a room which has percelain tiles on the floor with water based underfloor heating in the slab below. The tiler laid the floor with a gap of a few mm from the walls as the original plan was to put skirting around.

The walls have all been replastered and we are now considering having no skirting and effectively sealing the gap left by the tiler.

I have a few questions...
1. is the gap needed for expansion reasons? I wouldn't have thought porcelain would expand since the joints between the tiles would presumably crack if it did but thought I would check...
2. What would you fill it with? I was thinking of using the same grout as the rest of the floor - would this work? If the gap is required for expansion, could I use cauk/ mastic or something else?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

thanks

Lee.