Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sweetgum bowls

On 6/9/2013 10:23 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
"G. wrote:
A couple of bowls I recently finished.

--
 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Very nice? I hope to one day turn bowls, providing you don't scare
me off
with my asking you how many approximate hours, start to finish. :-)

Cutting down tree, sawing into 18" blocks, sawing blocks lengthwise
twice to cut out pith=1 day with sharp saws.
Cutting circle out of blank, rough turning it=45 min.
Drying in paper bag until weight loss stops=2-5 months. I weigh them
every 2 weeks. This morning's weighing yielded 12 large rough bowls
which weighed the same or slightly more than last weighing. They were
roughed out in Feb.
Finish turning large bowl with sanding to 600 grit =1 day. finishing
top, reversing on vacuum chuck and finishing bottom=1-2 hr. The reason I
can't finish it all in 1 day is that I put on LV tung oil sealer after
sanding. It takes overnight before can do the shellac/wax finish. The
tung oil brings out the grain.
Hauling off off-cuts, shavings and sanding dust--continuous.
Sharpening tools on belt sander--every 5 minutes.
Seeing smile on SWMBO's face--priceless.

I'm in a new neighborhood, it will be a while before the trees are big
enough to cut down. :~)

Thanks for the run down.