Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Transmix utility mixer...revisited

On 5/25/2013 3:40 PM, dpb wrote:
This is a stretch for sure but, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Have old (as in late 50s/very early 60s) utility mixer that was mounted
on old Farmall 560 w/ the two-point connection system and two other
brackets around the rear axles. No longer have the 560; was looking at
trying to rig up a mount for either the JD 4440 or little 955 utility
tractor ...
...[big snip]...
The point of the posting is while have all the pieces, it's been so long
since it used it I can't recall precisely how it assembled and if
anybody just out of the blue had access to manual or pictures on an IH
it would aid significantly in sorting it out. ...
...[and another]...
I'm sure eventually I can get it worked out but just took a break and
thought would ask -- if nothing else, others might find it an
interesting piece of gear...

OK, I have from a couple of trial and error attempts and the picture
from the brochure a link to which Dean Hoffman posted, managed to get
the frame/cradle mounting fingered out and have pulled the PTO shaft
from the humongous casting that was mounted to the rear PTO cover plate
on the 560 but that is far too big in outside dimensions to fit into the
area around a PTO on any tractor since the '50s or very early '60s...so
the plan was/is to build another support structure to mount from the
drawbar hanger and whatever else can find that is convenient and planned
on bolting just some pillow blocks to it for the bearings/support.

Problem is, the rear end of the shaft is cut down for the bearing for
only a 3/4" width and can't find a 1" pillow block that isn't roughly
1-3/8" in thickness or so owing to the lock collar, etc. So, question
is, anybody got an idea for an inexpensive bearing mount to save having
to have the shaft turned? Any other idears accepted as well...

The outrigger end is 1-5/8" and has plenty of length to use a standard
pillow block; it's only this inboard end that needs help that I've not
got an answer for at the moment...