Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Help understanding fan motor.

One possible reason for neither of the black leads showing any continuity to
any other wires could be the appliance was discarded for a reason.. maybe
the motor went bad years ago.

A 3uF motor cap would very likely be on a PSC type motor. The wiring scheme
for a PSC is similar to a center-tapped transformer.. 2 (nearly) identical
windings in series.

wire o--------------o--------------o wire

The center tap is a third wire, and the resistance readings from center to
each end would be close to identical, and combined, those readings would
equal the end-to-end resistance reading.

No manufacturer would use a black wire for an earth ground wire. Earth
ground is nearly always green, although sometimes green/yellow.

The white wire is common to the motor capacitor and the HV module, so I'd
expect that to be the neutral of 120VAC (located electrically at the center
of the 2 windings).
The grey wire likely goes to an end of one of the windings.

I'd suspect that one of the black wires was the hot side of 120VAC.
Since there's no continuity, then likely a break in the wire-to-winding
connection or an open winding.

PSC motors are frequently thermally protected, so a slim possibility could
be a bad (open) thermal protector. Trouble is, it may not be easy to find
it.

Those insulated splices may be Buchanan splice-caps.. very common in
consumer appliance wiring. They're very reliable when crimped properly with
the Buchanan crimper.. and the insulating caps just snap on over the splice.
Very consistent results if used conscientiously.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Splork" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 09:05:20 -0400, "Wild_Bill"

wrote:

If you can find the value of the capacitor, generally marked on the side..
value(uF MF mF etc) and voltage, part number.

The value will indicate what type of motor it is, although it appears to
be
a PSC type )permanent split capacitor) motor, and possibly multi-speed (or
dual voltage).

There may be worthwhile info on the motor case.. a tag or diagram-p/n on a
label inside the wiring cover if equipped.

It sounds like an open frame blower motor from a furnace or air handler
which also included an electrostatic air cleaner.. that's likely what the
12kV is for, definitely not needed to operate the motor (should be removed
to prevent any surprise shocks which could result in serious injury).
If the appliance was a home comfort apparatus, you might try posting a
picture on a HVAC forum.

I would cut away the HV module and try to determine if the (top) white
lead,
and the (bottom) black lead/AC are the power leads.
There should also be a secure earth ground connection to the case for
testing and use/operation.
Testing should be attempted by a qualified, experienced individual with
the
capacitor in place as shown.

Without a motor manufacturer's name or part number, you may not find any
data regarding the other leads (red, yellow).

Thanks for the comments.

The device is long gone (8 years) and I suspect it to be what you think it
is.
What remains wired is done so by crimped wire connectors (like permanent
wire
nuts)

I asked for comments because I am lost explaining no ohmic relationship
with
any of the black leads to anything else and one fed from the line voltage
lead.
There are no other wires connected to that lead so there is no evident
complete
circuit possible. One power line wire to that lead exclusively.

Other than that it seems a straightforward tapped motor, though the
winding
implementation needs to be sorted out.

Making White hot and using the windings to selectively complete the
circuit is
logical.

3uF is what I might expect for a low start torque air handler. Likely
permanent. Not a huge motor. Nicely fit to an air directing shroud.

I would suspect a black lead for frame ground but 2 blacks ?? and one
wired hot
is a head scratcher. Hence my wail for help.

The HV module will come off. I might find a good way to use it in my
application for air scrubbing but that is an afterthought.

There is nary a mark on the motor. Nothing that I could get a response
for on
the net. No Mfg imprint either

I am not a HVAC guy but I did AV Repair when TVs still had tubes and did a
stint
designing Motherboards in the early PC Market. Not threatening for me.

Thanks again