Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Hougen Magnetic Drill Problem

The picture of the brush/spring assemblies shows that they appear to be
normal.. although the length of the original/new brushes is unknown.

When putting the brushes back in the holders, if there was adequate length
that caused some slight contact pressure (spring sticking out when brush is
fully inserted), then the brushes should be long enough to operate the
motor.

Dust and debris in and around the brush holders should be removed as a
standard practice when servicing motors.

The brush on the left in the picture appears to have been arcing, probably
on the trailing edge.
If the brush/commutator contact area is visible from the outside, see if
there is a lot more arcing at one brush than there is at the other.

Since the brushes may not be installed in their original positions now, by
viewing the normal rotational direction of the armature (by running the
motor or by turning the tool's spindle in the proper direction) it should be
possible to remount that chipped brush in it's original position with the
dark/chipped edge as the trailing edge.

Brushes in power tools don't usually contact the commutator at precisely 90
degrees, so the concave area is normally off-center on the brush (since the
brushes tend to drift in the direction of rotation). That may help finding
the original position of the brushes.

I've seen motor troubleshooting web pages showing brush defect pictures,
arcing illustrations and corresponding faults, but can't seem to find a
decent one now.
Maybe someone else has a saved location they could recommend.

There are numerous problems that are indicated by excessive brush arcing,
chipping/erosion or pitting. Several faults can only be confirmed by a motor
repair shop or a knowlegeable tech with a motor growler and other test
equipment.

It may be worthwhile to closely examine the board soldering with good light
and a magnifier, and touch-up/reflow any cracked or abnormal looking joints.
I regularly use lead solder to reflow lead-free solder because it produces
reliable connections.

I'm not a manufacturer, distributor or exporter and I have composed a sworn
statement stating that I will not eat or snort any of my electronic gear.
Let the recycler sort it out.

--
Cheers,
WB

wrote in message

I did replace the brushes in the same holders they came out of, but *may*
have put one or both back in upside down from how they came out.

Also,I only use my multimeters for the basics and don't really know their
functions in depth. So I can only note whether or not the display changes
and the number read-outs. But not necessarily what they mean unless I'm just
measuring AC or DC voltage or something like that.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.