Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Help: Hougen Magnetic Drill Problem

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:19:43 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have a Hougen Magnetic Drill that is not working.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...pse1f7add1.jpg
(...)
Would it be plausible to re-flow the solder on the circuit board in case there is a cold solder joint somewhere?

Yes. Take a photograph of the various plugs so that you can put it
back together correctly. Unplug everything. Wiggle the connectors
and you'll probably find the "cold" solder joint. Reflow the solder
connections using the same type of solder that was originally used
(Lead-Tin or RoHS type). Clean off the flux. If you try to solder it
with the connectors plugged in, you'll either solder the connectors
together, or melt the plastic insulators. Also, look for "insulation
crimps" on the wire plug ends.

However, I don't think that's the problem. My crystal ball suggests
that the brushes on the motor may be the culprit. Try using your ohms
guesser on the brush contacts and see if the motor presents a few
ohms. Also spin the drive shaft to see if you don't have an "flat
spots" on the commutator. Of course, visually inspect the brushes.

If that looks ok, it's probably something between the power and the
drill motor, which is infested with interlock switches. Each should
be checked individually with the ohms guesser for continuity.

Incidentally, I failed to find a schematic or wiring diagram online.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D