Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair
Robert[_18_] Robert[_18_] is offline

Default Time and a half for over 40 hours

On Apr 3, 4:38 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
http://www.ehow.com/list_6734806_geo...ours-work.html

My niece just started working for a company yesterday. She is working
in a convenient store that also sells gas. She has almost no job
experience. She says her boss does not pay time and a half for over
40 hours.

I am assuming that if she says anything, the boss will just quit
telling her to come in. What is the best way to address this problem?

Before I retired, I was an engineer which the government classified
as "professional management".... There is an exemption for such
people to be paid a fixed salary, and any additional hours that might
be required get ZERO overtime pay..... This is the present law...

It didn't bother me a bit. I got great raises every year, often a
year
end bonus, and, most of the time only slight overtime was required
except for exceptional circumstances when I was
expected to do whatever was required to meet the needs of
the company...

The distinction is this.... :
Some employees try to work the minimum hours, take the
maximum coffee breaks and sick leave, and go to a better job
with minimum notice given as soon as another opportunity presents
itself.

Other employees are working as if they are partners in
the company, putting in whatever time is needed to get thru
a crisis , and don't care about maximizing how much time they can get
paid for without working but rather "how can my time be better
used to benefit the company".

Which type of employee do you think keeps their jobs in
a recession, or that the company tries to hang on to ???

It's different attitudes that people have.... MY attitude
worked well for me, and I retired at 55 with no complaints.

If I could advise your niece, I would suggest that she set
goals for herself, determine what she needed to do to
achieve those goals, make a plan , and put up with occasional crap
that
might come along without complaining.... It looks to me
like she considers herself, now, to be a "worker bee" instead
of a "supervisor bee"..... Unless she changes that approach,
she will be at the bottom of the ladder all her life...

We all start out as worker bees. It's our attitude that
makes the difference.