Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Grinding lathe bed.

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 08:24:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 28, 9:48 am, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi

I'm sure that the ways will look good when you grind like this guy does.
But how about saddle wear? (don't know how to spell it :-( )
As far as I can see there is no way that you or me can remove saddle
wear grinding a bed like this only add more sway to the bed.

Am I right or wrong on this?

--
Uffe

Sometimes most anything will make things better. Many years ago a
friend and i purchased a worn out small Sears lathe. I used a file
and got it a lot better than it was originally. Not the a good way ,
but it still was a lot better after I was done. If I were doing a
large lathe like the one in the video and the lathe was not very
valuable, I would do my best to get rid of the saddle wear and then
grind the ways as he did.

Dan

He's probably running the grinder on the tailstock ways, which are
likely to be in better shape than the carriage ways, especially up
near the headstock.

Coincidentally, the guy calls himself "4GSR," which I assume is a
reference to the LeBlond 4GSR boring lathe. I was involved in the bed
refurb of a 4GSR recently. 70 feet long, 16" hole thru the spindle.

That's a monster....

We had a couple of travelling collumn horizontal boring mills with beds about that lengh when I was with Certified Aerospace in the early 80's--pretty sure they ran on a one-piece bed but I can't say for sure.

Later, when I was at Boeing Portland, they put in some spanking-new G&L cnc boring mills but these were 20, 40 and 60 foot sections, bolted together with the 60ft bed being the max available if I recall correctly.