Posted to alt.home.repair
AndyHancock AndyHancock is offline

Default How to remove door closer cover

On Mar 9, 8:35 pm, "TomR" wrote:
"AndyHancock" wrote:
On Mar 9, 7:39 am, Mikepier wrote:
On Mar 8, 11:15 pm, AndyHancock wrote:
I have door closer whose pressure I want to adjust. After
googling, I determined that it is a surface-mount. The door
closer has a plastic cover with 2 holes on each end and one on
the bottom. No screws are visible, they look like holes in the
casing. No amount of pulling seems to be able to remove the
cover. There are no manufacturer markings on the cover. Is
there a common way to remove such a cover?

Some of them do not have covers. The holes you see might be the
adjusting screws. Try to look inside and see if they are hex
shaped for an allen key.

Otherwise posting a picture would help.

I looked inside before posting. The holes are about 3-4mm
diameter. There is nothing that I can see that looks like a screw
for any head or bit. It's just a darkness, even with a flashlight
shining in. If I try to probe the opening with a small
screwdriver, it goes in about an inch before encountering
something, and in one of the holes, the thing being encountered
isn't a surface that stops the screwdriver so much as it diverts
the screwdriver to one side.

I'd like to post a picture, but I'm using Google Groups to access
this forum. What is the next best way to post a picture? (I don't
do social media, and I've learned long ago to be anonymous on
usenet).

I have never used Google Groups so I don't know if this will work,
but to post photos I usually usehttp://tinypic.com/. I upload the
photo there, then it produces a URL link that I can copy and post in
the message. People click on the URL link that I post and that
takes them to the photo.

Well. That's quite convenient. I uploaded the picture to
http://tinypic.com/r/2jadj89/6. However, I found that the picture can
be accessed without the rest of the webpage content as
http://oi46.tinypic.com/2jadj89.jpg.

About the holes, there are two on the right-side facing edge just like
the two on the left-side facing edge in the photo. The hole on the
bottom appears to be identical. There are no wholes on the top except
for where the spindle pokes through.