Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Dale Miller[_4_] Dale Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Wood Making

On 03/05/2013 11:02 AM, jloomis wrote:
Try to make sure to burn dry wood.
Have a hot fire to keep the chimney clean.
Don't burn garbage......

This is excellent advice!

Scrub the chimney with a metal flue brush.

Do NOT use a metal brush on stainless steel liners or manufactured chimneys.

I would much rather burn oak.
Also, I may be able to use this in firing a "Wood fired Kiln"
We do that around here, and I am tempted to use it for cone 10 firing.
Why not!
I do have pine to which I really do not like to use.
Bull Pine.
Or Coastal Pine.
It is very soft wood, burns hot, and quick. Not much like oak....
john

Thus the reason hard woods are recommended for burning.
Soft woods are ok for heating when your just trying to take the chill
off. Most pines are not recommended because of the sap in the wood which
burns too hot and usually the smoke adheres to the inside of the
chimney. Remember creosote builds up because of wet smoke and the
chimney not being hot enough to repel the build up.
Thus the reason dry seasoned wood is preferred as well as good hot fires
to reduce creosote build up in the chimney system.

--
All the Best & 73's
Dale Miller, KC2CBD

Registered Linux User: #317401