Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
G.W.Ross G.W.Ross is offline

Default Wood Making

On 3/5/2013 7:55 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
jloomis wrote:

Here is the scene of the crime.
I have yet another pile to do.
Would rather be building, but need to clean up last years downed
trees. john

Pine? You guys split that up for firewood? How long do you season it
before burning? We don't burn pine around here owing to the creosote
issues.

Growing up in South Georgia, we burned a lot of pine. Mom especially
liked it for the cookstove as it started up fast and when the cooking
was done it burned up and cooled off fast. My job was to hold a "coke"
bottle filled with kerosene with a bunch of pine needles packed in the
opening. My dad and brother would take out the crosscut saw when it
started binding a little and I sprinkled kerosene on each side to
lubricate it.

Creosote? We called it soot that built up in the chimney. About once a
year if you had a hot fire in the fireplace it would burn out up the
chimney sounding like a tornado. With a tin roof there was little
danger unless the chimney had cracks or loose bricks in it. We would
always go out and check that nothing was ignited outside the house. Our
three fireplace chimneys were double walled with solid brick with sand
in between. We had a lot of sand. The chimneys were set 3 or 4 inches
away from the wall except at the bottom. In the winter birds would
roost between the chimney and the house to stay warm.

--
 GW Ross

 Be not forgetful to entertain
 strangers: for thereby some have