Eddie Munster

Default "Flashed" oak

Probably what I saw on saturday in an antique place. They called it
"flame oak". It was just quartersawn and looked good.

davidmc wrote:

the SWMBO was at an antique show today and saw a piece of furniture
that was labeled "flashed oak." She said it was striped, with
extremely strong contrast between the light and the dark stripes as if
it were zebrawood. Is anyone familiar with this? Why is it called
"flashed"? And is it the result of the type of oak used or is it a
type of finish (and if the latter, how do you do it?) I haven't seen
any references to this by googling the web or this newsgroup.