Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] homeowner@home.com is offline

Default Freeze proof faucets that freeze

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 04:59:10 -0500, Dave Stone
wrote:

On 1/23/2013 4:43 AM, wrote:
They're called "FREEZE PROOF" faucets. Yet, I've never found one that
dont freeze. I've tried several brands, one was cheap, the another was
costly. They ALL freeze in cold weather.

Yes, I remove all hoses right after I use them.
Yes, it pitches downward on the outside.
Yes, the inside portion is in a heated building and the washer is well
inside.

Put one of those cheap foam coolers over the spigot when not in use.

Do you mean a cooler like ones made for beer in the summer, or is there
something made for this use? Putting some type of insulation around it
does make sense, so the heat is kept in in the exterior part of the
faucet. However, is has to be easily removable to put the hose on.

Whatever it is, it has to be fairly durable because snow likes to drift
there and sometimes burys the faucet, which means I got to shovel around
it, and thats not always a gentle procedure, not to mention snow and
icicles falling off the roof.