Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] homeowner@home.com is offline

Default Freeze proof faucets that freeze

They're called "FREEZE PROOF" faucets. Yet, I've never found one that
dont freeze. I've tried several brands, one was cheap, the another was
costly. They ALL freeze in cold weather.

Yes, I remove all hoses right after I use them.
Yes, it pitches downward on the outside.
Yes, the inside portion is in a heated building and the washer is well
inside.

What happens is that the stem, seems to freeze where it goes into the
packing behind the handle. Then the handle wont turn. A heat gun
normally solves it in a few minutes, but when it's way below zero
outdoors, the last thing I want to do is be f***ing around with that
faucet, and that's every other day when I fill livestock tanks.

When the weather is above 20F deg, but below freezing, it's usually ok.
Omce the temps get below 20F, it's almost guaranteed to be frozen. To
make matters worse, this one I have now, has a plastic handle and
plastic cap ion top as a vacuum breaker. That means I got to keep the
heat gun away from the plastic parts, which makes it harder to thaw.
(The rest of the faucet is brass).

Have any of you ever found one that dont freeze?

Yea, I know most of you never use these faucets in winter, but those of
us who run farms and have animals that need water are always struggling
with stuff like this, and it becomes real annoying when it becomes a
daily or every other day hassle.

I will mention that they dont freeze bad enough to where they would
crack, like a standard spigot, because they are not FILLED with water,
yet they are always frozen enough to make it impossible to turn the
handle. Actually I tried to force one of them, and broke the handle
off. So they are frozen tight!