Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default water leaking burnham v-14a-t

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 18:44:01 +0000, jarhead143
wrote:

I have water leaking from my furnace and I am not sure if I will need a new one or not. Do I have to take the whole cover off to see where it is leaking from and if I do what can I use to fix the leak ?

Somebody here posted a link to that boiler, but it didn't open for me,
so I forgot about this.
In case you haven't called in a pro boiler guy, I'll say this.
Very doubtful you can economically fix a leak in the boiler water
jacket. Mostly likely caused by age/corrosion. Many reasons to get
away from an old oil-fired unit, and get a new gas unit.
One thing you can do is examine all pipe fittings attached to the
water jacket, including the gauge fitting if it has one, It's
possible for a leak to originate there and flow down to the firebox or
other area within the casing (what you called "cover.")
Like a roof that shows up a distance from the actual leak.
If you can't see the leak in a fitting on the outside, you'll have to
remove the casing. The residential ones I've removed are easy enough.
Just sheet metal screws hold it together. Not even a real dirty job
unless you clean the jacket fire passages.
Good chance you'll have to pull the vent from the chimney, and re
mortar that back in.
You really should get some reputable HVAV guys to look at it.
Just beware of chimney shakers.

..