Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best way to set up gas central heating controls

In article ,
ss writes:
On 23/12/2012 20:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
The daily weather will have too much influence, it will tend to mask the
effects of any changes you make to the settings. Much better to try
settings for a week at a time and record the gas use per week, perhaps
making a note about the weather for each week, temperature and wind
mainly.

I will move to a weekly reading but to get a feel for some of the
changes I am making I have been monitoring on a daily basis for a couple
of weeks and will for another week and then move to weekly.
So far I have managed to save about 3 kWh per day. I know I can make
some further improvements with draught proofing when I have time and the
dog passes on! I have wooden laminate flooring and want to carpet but as
the dog is on his last legs will wait til then before carpeting.

The house is 10 rooms including 2 toilets plus 2 small hallways and I am
on target to reduce combined bills to approx £1000 per year.....getting
there :-)

I'm less that that here (detached, 7 rooms), but I don't any longer
have the heating or hot water switch itself on automatically - I switch
on manually when required. In particular, in the morning I like it to
be cold, as I do 30 mins on the exercise bike, and that's best when the
living room is about 16C (and it actually increases the living room temp
by about 1.1C). When I'm working at home, I just heat one room using an
air-sourced heat pump. I can find I haven't used the heating all day
quite often, even in the winter, in which case there is a heater in the
bedroom if it's cold when I'm thinking of going up to bed (I do like a
warm bedroom).

However, I can remotely turn on/off the heating, and I use that when
I'm coming home.

BTW, I think there should be a £10/unit FIT for exercise bikes ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel