Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Alder Salad Bowl

On 12/23/2012 04:03 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Funny you should say that about technique versus persistence. When I looked
at your bowls, I thought that I have no real appreciation for this. Not
that they didn't look nice - I had no appreciation for what it takes to make
them. As one who have never so much as turned a lathe on, I've certainly
never turned anything on a lathe, so it's all lost on me when it comes to
appreciating what may have gone into a particular piece of work.

I suppose it's that way for about anything. Most of us here do/have
done regular woodworking and appreciate the work that goes into design
as well as execution. But regular folks will look at something and not
see past the figure (or lack of it) in the wood. Of course, a piece
with nice figure and good design is a bonus but not every hunk of wood
has dramatic figure.

My goal is usually to make a pleasing shape regardless of the wood.
When I succeed, it's a nice piece. Not necessarily earth shaking but
pleasant. When I miss its obvious. It's kind of like road maintenance
crews - when they do their job right you never even notice. When they
don't you know it. :-)

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb