Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best way to set up gas central heating controls

On 23/12/2012 13:36, ss wrote:
I am trying to get the best economies with an acceptable level of
comfort, so a bit of a balancing act. Using a Baxi combi boiler with 14
radiators. (some rads turned off) (house occupied 24/7)
In general terms I can take lower temps during the day but raise them at
night which I have done via the time control/stat.
Now as I can see there are 3 elements.

1. The temp controls at the boiler (low/med/high)for controlling the
water and another for the rads.
2. The thermostat on the time control box.
3. TVR valves

Is there a `best way` to adjust anything eg is it better to have a lower
temp setting at the boiler or a higher one and let the stat control the
heat.
As far as the TVR valves are concerned I have them mid point in bedrooms
etc but full on in the main lounge (where the stat is)
Short of getting uncomfortable is there a `best` set up for economy use
in general terms accepting we all have different comfort levels.

You shouldn't really have a TRV at all in the room where the room stat
is. That should be the slowest room to heat up so that the TRVs in the
other rooms have all done their thing before the stat turns the boiler
off. [May possibly not be the best place for the room stat].
--
Cheers,
Roger