Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best way to set up gas central heating controls

In article ,
ss writes:
I am trying to get the best economies with an acceptable level of
comfort, so a bit of a balancing act. Using a Baxi combi boiler with 14
radiators. (some rads turned off) (house occupied 24/7)
In general terms I can take lower temps during the day but raise them at
night which I have done via the time control/stat.
Now as I can see there are 3 elements.

1. The temp controls at the boiler (low/med/high)for controlling the
water and another for the rads.
2. The thermostat on the time control box.
3. TVR valves

Is there a `best way` to adjust anything eg is it better to have a lower
temp setting at the boiler or a higher one and let the stat control the
heat.

If it's a condensing boiler, the most efficient position is to
set the boiler temperature as low as you can, which still manages
to keeps the rooms at correct temperature and never quite causes
the room stat to click off.

The trouble with this is that you will have to adjust the boiler
temperature depending on the outside temperature, turning it up
a bit when it's colder outside, and down when it's warmer outside.
Also have to turn it up whilst you are heating the house up from
cold. This is what a weather compensation system does for you
automatically.

A compromise which is not significantly worse than ideal would
be to have the boiler just slightly hotter and have the room stat
only occasionally click off, but would avoid you having to fiddle
with the boiler temperature so often.

If it's not a condensing boiler, the same applies, but you need to
be careful not to run the boiler too low that it starts condensing,
as this will do a non-condensing boiler some serious damage. In
theory, the boiler should protect itself against this by not running
too low, but I don't know that all boilers do.

As far as the TVR valves are concerned I have them mid point in bedrooms
etc but full on in the main lounge (where the stat is)
Short of getting uncomfortable is there a `best` set up for economy use
in general terms accepting we all have different comfort levels.

That sounds fine for the TRVs.

--
Andrew Gabriel