Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Mountain Ash Salad Bowl

On 12/22/2012 01:43 AM, Tom Dougall wrote:
Nice bowls Kevin, the Mountain ash bowl, - is that the same wood as
Rowan as it is called in Scotland and Mountain ash in England. I was
wondering about the sap wood. in Scotland there is very little sap wood
on the rowan tree and it is mostly red heartwood and not easy to dry as
it cracks readily.

Tom

Yes, it's Rowan. We have several species of Mountain Ash/Rowan here but
two are scrubby and not too common. Most is European Mountain Ash which
was imported as decorative trees in yards. It's "gone native" somewhat
due to birds scattering the berries and such, but you don't find it far
from homes.

Usually the heart wood is more pervasive. It seems to happen in two
ways here. Either almost all the wood is heartwood or just a bit of the
center. This is the only one that I've see with so little heartwood in
a large tree however. I've done lots of little (6") bowls that were
about 50% heartwood. The interesting thing is, when the tree is mostly
heartwood it's never the dark chocolate color - just a tan. Don't know why.

Hopefully you'll be able to see these - a couple other Rowan bowls I did
some time back. Watch the line wrap:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater