Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Refinishing tips for a 70-year-old mahogany dining room set

On 12/17/2012 9:24 AM, wrote:

I question whether you really should refinish this set. I assume it is
fairly good shape and just needs some TLC.

Pick out some portion that is inconspicuous, perhaps the legs or
undercarriage of the table or the back legs of the buffet.

As others have noted:
lacquer will be softened by lacquer thinner.
shellac will be softened by denatured alcohol.
varnish would require paint remover.

I would suggest starting with paint thinner and very fine steel wool.
Rub it down really well and clean and wipe with clean rags and paint
thinner until a white rag comes away clean. The paint thinner won't
hurt any finish that is on the pieces and will remove wax and polish.
I'm wanting you to see what it looks like with just a really good
cleaning. If there are any scratches, etc use some Watco Danish oil of
an appropriate color. When fully dry (at least one day) give the area
you've been working on a goodly coat of paste wax using a pad of fine
steel wool as the applicator. Let dry for at least two days. Buff
with an old bath towel. I think you might be pleased and surprised to
just quit after using this process. Refinished stuff tends to look
refinished. Remember that on Antiques Road Show they always value the
original finishes.

Once you start the paint remover, scraping, sanding method there is no
turning back.

I've had fair results with Chair Doctor:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/chairdoctorglue.aspx
If the chairs are basically sound.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .