Larry Jaques

Default Shop made full extension wooden drawer slides

On 7 May 2004 20:50:06 -0700, (tillius)
brought forth from the murky depths:

Does anyone know of a source online for plans, photos, or drawings of
shop built full extension drawer slides?

I'm designing my shop carts and need to add drawers for holding bits,
screws, etc. The drawers will be on both sides of my 24" wide cart so
will only be 10" deep. Can't find metal drawer slides that short plus
the closest I've found are $10-20 each and with 16 drawers that's
going to cost more than the wood I'm building the cart from.

Precision hardware isn't as cheap as wood.

For at least one cart, consider a tiered, pull-out shelf insert which
would take several layers and eliminate all but 2 slides for that
expanded depth.

www.wwhardware.com has Blum epoxy-coated 3/4 ext. slides in boxes of
25 sets for $110. (My local hardwood store has import epoxy-coated
slides for $3/pair and Lee Valley has kitchen slides for $2.90/pr)

www.leevalley.com has metal drawers with tabs on the side which
work as slides in kerfs cut into the cabinet sides. 05K98.10
(Note to Robin Lee: Please index these under "drawers", too.)
12K78.01 are sides onto which you build the rest of the drawer.

Last, but not least, consider using wood as slides for some of the
lesser-used drawers. (I have to wax my built-in dresser drawers twice
a year, but that takes about 15 minutes each time. They work pretty
smoothly waxed-wood-on-waxed-wood for quite a while.) Cut dadoes in
the cabinet sides (or overlay 1/2" panels less the slots) and add
strips to the drawers as slides.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?