Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
jloomis[_2_] jloomis[_2_] is offline

Default Wood Floor Question/Agree with Acclimation

You are correct here.
Yes, my friend, "actually brother-in-law" installed "high End" floor
systems,
and none of them are a problem.
I was surprised by his answer that with pre-finished oak, 3/4" you do not
need to acclimate it!
I was suspect, and reading advice in online manuals, they all say,
acclimate.
Then when I thought about it, the wood needs to be dry before finishing it.
right?
And the wood had gone through its movements. right?
And unless the wood was stored in a pond, or a damp garage in the must and
mold, it should be fine. right?
He said the only problem with installing un-acclimated wood is when you
install unfinished wood flooring.
Now the more I think about this, the more I believe him.
I tell you, I never thought I would get so many opinions, and the one that
sticks is the one from a person
who has installed thousands of sq. ft.
hummmm????
john

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Just because your buddy installed floors for years, doesn't
necessarily mean that he was doing it correctly.

That is the quintensential non-argument. Just because he's done it dosen't
mean he was doing it correctly - what does that mean? If he has had no
problems, then he has done it every bit as correctly as anything you would
suggest. After all - just because your suggestions have been around for a
long time does not mean they are correct. What else do we go on, except for
experience? Why do we look to people like Karl and Leon for their
experiences? Yet - you summarily dismiss this contractor that you don't
even know.

When had the slab
for my garage/shop poured I wanted a moisture barrier beneath the shop
portion. The concrete contractor, who did great work, told me it was
totally unnecessary as "water cannot penetrate concrete." Yeah, uh,
right!

You might want to ask him more about what he was speaking about. There are
way too many old wives tales about how things should be done, which hold no
water, than there are real and factual practices. If your concete
contractor is as incompetent as you allude he is, why in the hell did you
use him? But - it does make a good usenet story, doesn't it?

--

-Mike-